Care for Patients Traveling from Abroad & Out of Region
We have experience treating treated patients from far away, both all over the US and outside of the US. We commonly see people from Canada, for instance, who come to us to receive expert shoulder care without waiting for several months for treatment.
Regardless of your location, our team is happy to assist in providing a smooth experience to receive the shoulder care that you and your family deserve. We can provide travel recommendations as well.
If you have surgery at the Oregon Shoulder Institute, we will continue to follow you with telehealth visits and coordinate your therapy from afar. Ironically, many people find this process more convenient than surgery close to home because this avoids long wait times in a doctor’s office for follow-up care.
Studies in shoulder surgery have shown that experience and skill matter. Higher volume, or experience, leads to better results. The specialists at the Oregon Shoulder Institute are internationally recognized for their expertise. If you need shoulder surgery, we can help give you the best possible chance of the outcome you want.
To become a patient, or get a second opinion, contact us to set up an initial video or telehealth consultation.
A standard wait time for elective shoulder surgery is about 6 weeks. But we have options available to have surgery within 2 weeks of insurance approval if desired.
Our process is as follows:
- Pre-op evaluation of radiographic images (X-ray and MRI) with a video call to determine best course of treatment
- Most people travel in the day before surgery and have an in-office visit
- Surgery is performed the next day
- We will personally call you after surgery and provide a cell phone number to ensure you have open communication during your stay. Direct access to nursing staff is also provided
- Travel home can occur on the same day or the next day depending on your desires and the length of travel
- Virtual postoperative visits (2-week phone call; 3-month video conference, 6-month video conference) are used to monitor your progress
This can be done where you live. We will provide you with a customized rehabilitation plan and detailed instructions with a prescription for your physical therapist. We will also give access to video demonstrations of exercises if you prefer to do therapy on your own.
Most Telehealth or video consultations are covered by insurance. If you are from out of the country or paying in cash, consultation pricing is available.
If you are traveling from abroad or do not have insurance, we provide a bundled fee which includes your initial consultation and all surgical fees (Surgery Center, Anesthesia, Surgical Fees, Implants required for surgery) with no hidden costs.
More information is available here:
Near our office, Rogue Regional Medical Center, and the Surgery Center of Southern Oregon we recommend:
- The Hilton Garden Inn: https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/mfrhegi-hilton-garden-inn-medford/
- The Towneplace Suites by Marriott: https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/mfrts-towneplace-suites-medford/overview/
Near the airport (MFR), we recommend:
- The Courtyard by Marriott: https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/mfrcy-courtyard-medford-airport/overview/
- The Springhill Suites: https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/mfrap-springhill-suites-medford-airport/overview/
Direct flights are available from Medford (MFR) from several major west coast cities including Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City. Airlines include United, Delta, Alaska, American, Allegiant, and Avelo.
A full list is available here:
Our Process is as follows
- Pre-op evaluation of radiographic images (X-ray and MRI) with phone call or video call to determine best course of treatment
- Information regarding all surgical fees (Surgery Center, Anesthesia, Surgical Fees, Shoulder Brace, Implants required for surgery) with no hidden costs
- We will personally call you after surgery and provide a cell phone number to ensure you have open communication during your stay
- Customized rehabilitation plan with access to video demonstrations of exercises if home therapy is preferred
- Virtual postoperative visits (2-week phone call; 3-month video conference, 6-month video conference)
- Direct access to nursing staff